Monday, June 29, 2015

Another Twilight Panel Bites the Dust

Since the 4 original panels don't fill enough of the wall, I created Pre-Dawn to go with Sunrise, Noon, Sunset and Midnight. Wanting another panel, I began Twilight using some handspun yarn in a mix of blues with a touch of purple, a busy yarn with lots of texture and variation in thickness. I added some beautiful brown/blue ribbon and then worked in some Lamb's Pride using box stitches. At that horizon, I began the sky with a smoother look, ending at the top with a dark grey-blue. A little bit of single crochet metallic thread added interest.

However, when I photographed the panel, I hated it. The handspun is too busy, the bottom is too heavy, the sky area has no interest, the metallic addition are haphazard.

So, I frogged the piece and saved some of the sky as strips and all of the rest of the yarn. I put the handspun aside for a different project.

I began anew with lighter weight yarns and a smoother look for the water.

Since I work on this a bit every day, I kept adding another color, another texture - one section on top of another without a break. I wove in the metallic strips. And, I decided the sky area needed some fluffiness, but I couldn't find a yarn that was the right color and texture.

I  cut several yards of Lamb's Pride Bulky in that heathery Peacock color into 5 inch strips. Using my dog slicker brushes, I created a big pile of fuzz, which I spun into some really funky thick/thin/lumpy yarn. This is the fluffy wedge on the right side. Looks great. I thought the panel looked a little narrow, but I figured I could block it out a bit to be wider.

I kept ignoring the fact that it was too narrow. I measured the length, and I kept adding rows.

IT'S TOO NARROW, and it will not block out to being two inches wider. I am not going to take this one apart, but I will begin another Twilight panel soon.
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment